20 May What Can You Do Now That You’ve Listened to ‘Black and Brown Solidarity: The Struggle to Defend Public Education in Puerto Rico and the USA’
What can you do now that you’ve listened to When We Fight We Win! Podcast: “Black and Brown Solidarity: The Struggle to Defend Public Education in Puerto Rico and the USA”?
Whether you’re a long-time activist or learning now about how to get involved, these resources are a way to grow and contribute to the fight!
1. Help financially by centering Puerto Rican led organizations.
- AgitArte works to initiate and lead community-based educational and arts programs, along with projects that agitate in the struggles for liberation. Please take a moment to consider a donation here.
- Jornada Se Acabaron las Promesas aims to denounce and stop the undemocratic discussions and policies that the JCF intends to impose.
- Papel Machete is a worker’s street and community theater collective dedicated to puppetry, masks and performing objects for educational and agitational performances as a means of supporting the struggles of the working class and marginalized communities of Puerto Rico. You may donate here.
- Comedores Sociales de Puerto Rico is a socially oriented and activist self-managed food distribution initiative.
- Protect political feminist music with Plena Combativa.
- The Federation of Teachers of Puerto Rico (FMPR) is working with allies to set up a collection center to collect and distribute needed supplies to those most affected by the recent earthquakes that have rocked Puerto Rico and devastated many parts of the south and south west of the island. Donate here.
2. Puerto Rico Disaster Recovery Resources from AgitArte.
- When Hurricane María passed, artists from the AgitArte community had the initiative to collaborate with fellow artists in solidarity in the US who helped them document how they were living in Puerto Rico. These writings and images arise in response to the catastrophe they were experiencing after the hurricane and in a telephone interview with compas at Casa Taller Cangrejera in collaboration with Emily Simons and Hiram Rivera in the US. See the graphics here.
- AgitArte re-launched their campaign as an ongoing and long term fundraising effort, not just for Puerto Rico’s recovery, but for our reconstruction and liberation. Help them sustain the Centros de Apoyo Mutuo, CAMs and cultural organizing work in Puerto Rico here.
- Faced with the collapse of the State and the abuses of FEMA in post-Maria Puerto Rico, AgitArte has organized themselves in self-managed spaces known as Centros de Apoyo Mutuo (Mutual Support Centers + CAM). See the map here.
- Help AgitArte share a counter narrative to contest the dominant and inaccurate media coverage of Puerto Rico. The artwork here was created by AgitArte | Papel Machete artists, and artists in solidarity with the struggle in Puerto Rico. These images are free and available for download. When sharing, please also include the text and hashtags written for each artwork.
3. Learn more about the organizations featured in this episode; Journey for Justice Alliance and the Alliance for Quality Education & The Federation of Teachers of Puerto Rico
- Journey for Justice Alliance has an Education Platform rooted in racial justice and education equity.
- 1. A Moratorium on School Privatization
- 2. 25,000 Sustainable Community Schools by 2025
- 3. End Zero Tolerance Policies in Public Education NOW
- 4. Equity Mandates for Public Education at the Local & State Level
- 5. Stop the Attack on Black Teachers
- 6. End State Takeovers, Appointed School Boards & Mayoral Contro
- 7. Eliminate the Over-Reliance on Standardized Tests in Public Schools. You may access their website here.
- Watch the Education Equity Or Else! webinar recording to learn more about the Danger & Equity for Public Schools in the Era of COVID
- The Alliance for Quality Education is a coalition mobilizing communities across the state to keep New York true to its promise of ensuring a high quality public education to all students regardless of zip code. Combining its legislative and policy expertise with grassroots organizing, AQE advances proven-to-work strategies that lead to student success and ultimately create a powerful public demand for a high quality education. You may access their website here.
- The Federation of Teachers of Puerto Rico [can’t find official website]
4. Study about current and previous events in Puerto Rico.
- The #PRSyllabus provides a list of resources for teaching and learning about the current economic crisis in Puerto Rico. Read the syllabus here.
- Lean more about the precarious status of adjunct faculty at the University of Puerto Rico is a microcasm for the broader issues faced by the archipelago in Adjunct Faculty in an Adjunct Country
- “Latino Student Movements: Defending Education,” gives voice to Latino student movements across the Americas that are standing up to the crises, cutbacks, and repression
- Read more from The University of Puerto Rico: A Testing Ground for the Neoliberal State
- The Politics of Survival is about how Puerto Rico’s left is rebuilding in the wake of two disasters: Hurricane María and a neoliberal onslaught.
- 6 Months After Maria, Puerto Ricans Face a New Threat—Education Reform touches on colonialism and disaster capitalism are dismantling Puerto Rico’s public-school system.
- Over the past three years, hundreds of schools have closed across Puerto Rico… Learn more in The Disappearing Schools of Puerto Rico
- La Operación is a forty-minute documentary film by Ana María García about US-imposed sterilization policies in Puerto Rico. Produced by the Latin America an Film Project and released in 1982, this film explores the mass sterilization of Puerto Rican women during the 1950s and 1960s
- Read reports by Ed Morales in The Nation
- Read more for the leading peer-reviewed academic journal dedicated entirely to the field of Puerto Rican Studies, Centro Journal
- Read Puerto Rico in the American Century: A History Since 1898 by Cesar J. Ayala and Rafael Bernabe
6. #Repost, Follow & Stay Involved:
- Follow & Repost AgitArte on Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook
- Follow & #Repost When We Fight We Win!on Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook
- Stay up-to-date on the news with Bandera Roja; a Puerto Rican based Media Company
- Keep up-to-date with more news with Centro de Periodismo
- Read about the current news with Abayarderojo, a radical news source focused on combatting the oppressors!
- Follow Colectiva Feminista Construcción on Instagram
- Follow @nuestrapatriapr to learn more about how to stand up and fight for a dignified future!
- Use Zinn Education Project for your educational resources
- Lean more about Bread and Puppet