PART-TIME POSITION – 20 HOURS/WEEK
Communications, Administrative, and Research Assistant
Seeking a part-time activist local to the Cambridge/Boston area with strong writing, organizational and social media skills to support the author and the art director of WHEN WE FIGHT, WE WIN!; Twenty-First-Century Social Movements and the Activists That Are Transforming Our World and the Partnership for Democracy & Education team of activists, movement funders and educators in social justice organizations.
“As protests and demonstrations sprout across the land, young organizers and activists need to know why and how movements are sustained, and how they grow. That resource has arrived. It’s a slim volume, chock full of artwork, entitled WHEN WE FIGHT, WE WIN!. It discusses victories and losses, high points and depths, lessons learned, and missed opportunities. The core of its message is that social movements really matter, and when they are smart, adaptive, determined, and focused, they can win against tremendous odds. For such movements change minds, they transform consciousness, and they build social power that their opponents cannot resist. They echo, in action, the words of one of the greatest black leaders in American history, Frederick Douglass, who said, ‘Without struggle, there is no progress.’”
—Mumia Abu Jamal, author, activist, & political prisoner
ABOUT THE POSITION:
We seek a part-time assistant to support the co-authors with research, office management and communications to promote the book, artists and activists and companion website and social media. Some work can be done offsite, other at the Central Square Cambridge workshop.
· RESEARCH: Research academic possibilities for adoption of the book or to host co-authors and art exhibits. Research conferences, relevant events and submit proposals for authors’ participation.
· SOCIAL MEDIA: Participate in email and social media strategies for book and website promotion and ongoing discussion and engagement of activists around the world to include interviews, podcasts, practical action ideas, current events, videos, art, and music. Support website maintenance, research and edit materials for social media and website posting.
· EVENT MANAGEMENT: Edit speeches and interview transcripts. Maintain calendar and handle scheduling, travel and venue arrangements. Organize and coordinate a variety of meetings and assist with the preparation of presentation materials.
· GENERAL OFFICE MANAGEMENT, including manage correspondence and distribution of promotional materials, coordinate multiple databases, maintain paper and electronic files, handle copying/printing, etc.
Qualifications; candidates should have:
· a demonstrated ability to work independently, be an effective team member, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
· a demonstrated passion for and knowledge of activism and/or public education, social justice movements, cultural work, impact investing, philanthropy or development;
· excellent research and writing skills;
· previous experience working or volunteering in multicultural communities and workplaces, and know the need to listen to build understanding;
· strong software and social media knowledge (e.g., Mac, Microsoft Office, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or even WordPress, InDesign, etc.);
· be well organized, flexible, proactive, resourceful, humorous and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
Hours and Compensation
The Consultant will work 20 hours per week on a flexible schedule. The hourly rate of compensation will be based on experience level.
If interested, please send resume, cover letter and writing sample to:
Remona Davis email@example.com. For questions, please call (617) 499-9901 ext. 205.